When you go camping, you must ensure you have everything you need. When you go camping, there are many things you need to remember to bring, like food, clothing, cooking tools, firewood, and, of course, water.
For every day of camping, each person should have 1-2 gallons of water. People drink about half a gallon of water daily but need more water to eat, wash, and take care of themselves, like washing dishes, hands, teeth, etc.
Food and water are two things I never want to be without, whether camping or just at home. Water is essential for our bodies, and being thirsty while camping is no fun. This is especially true when it’s hot and muggy outside. Let’s take a closer look at how much water you should bring with you when car camping.
What’s the Ideal Amount of Water per Person to Bring Camping?
If you are 12 or older, you should typically drink about 2 liters of water per day. If you are younger than twelve, you can probably get away with drinking 1.5 liters per day.
Now, that’s how things are usually. Let’s look at why you might want even more water per person when camping.
- You’ll need even more water when you work out outside in the heat. Staying hydrated is not a choice; it’s a must. Be safe.
- You will probably want to brush your teeth while you are camping. You should always have water to rinse your mouth and clean your toothbrush.
- If you are using dishes, you must wash them between meals. If you want to, you could use paper plates and burn them in the fire when you’re done.
- When cuts and scrapes happen, you might need water to clean them up.
- When car camping, you must always wash your hands. You could buy a lot of wet wipes or just use good old soap and water that doesn’t harm the environment.
- You might also want to bring extra water if you have a portable shower. If you can wash in a lake or at a campground, you’ll have more space in your car because the water for a shower takes up a lot of room.
- When car camping, you may want to make a hot drink or add water to soups or other foods to cook them. Let’s face it: having something hot to drink when you first wake up to nature makes the experience much better!
- If you want to make soup or boil something that needs clean water and will be in contact with your food, you might need water.
After everything has been said, how much water do you need to bring? Let’s figure out how much water one person needs daily based on the list I just gave you.
- Drinking water = 2 liters.
- 16 ounces of extra water to drink because of the heat and exercise.
- Let’s say you need 8 ounces per day to brush your teeth.
- If you use the tub method to wash dishes (for more information, see my post about different ways to wash dishes), it will take 1 gallon of water per day. You need water to wash and rinse.
- 8 ounces per day (if you’re careful) to clean cuts and wipe your face and hands.
- To wash your hands every day, you’ll need 16 ounces.
- Making hot drinks and cooking. Let’s say you only have one cup of hot chocolate and one can of soup daily. About 24 ounces will be needed for this.
Based on the above numbers, I suggest you bring about 2 US gallons of water per person per day.
If you want to take a shower, you’ll need to add one more gallon, bringing your daily water needs to three gallons. If you have other needs, you can also add them to the equation. Just keep that in mind;
- One Liter is equal to 33.8 ounces.
- One US gallon is equal to 3.78 liters.
If you are washing your dishes, you can bring one gallon per person daily. When you wash dishes or shower, you use a lot of water.
How Much Water is Too Much Water to Bring Camping?
When car camping, you don’t have a lot of room in your car, so adding big water containers could be a problem if you don’t plan and pack right. Depending on how many people are in your car, you might be able to fill an entire seat with water bottles.
Why not put it on the roof if there isn’t enough room inside the car? If you don’t already have a roof rack and storage box, it might be time to buy one. Some car storage containers are big enough to hold a lot of gallons of water, which frees up space in your car.
Based on what I said above, you should be able to figure out how much water you need. Anything more than that is too much. Unless it’s just a little bit more for drinking, that’s fine.
Why do I Need to Bring so Much Water Camping?
As we’ve already discussed, you’ll need to bring enough water to drink, clean, shower, and cook with. This is why you need to bring so much water.
Now, if you’re car camping in a place where you know for sure there will be clean water all the time, you don’t need to bring much water at all.
You will most likely have to buy water in jugs at or near the campsite. I guess that’s not a bad idea. But you still need to know about how much water you will need for the number of days you will be camping.
How Much Water do I Need to Bring For Day Hikes?
Do you need to bring water with you to go on a day hike while car camping?
Absolutely! It is very dangerous to be stuck away from people and without water. It takes a lot of work to go hiking in the wilderness. Before you leave, decide how much water you will need. It is also very important to add more water in case it takes longer than you thought.
You might sometimes go in the wrong direction on a trail. You could also decide halfway through that you want to go a different way. If you didn’t bring extra water, you might miss out on some great chances to explore.
How Much Water do I Need to Bring Backpacking?
In short, I would bring at least 3 liters of water per person on a backpacking trip that goes out and back within 6 hours. If it’s hot outside, each person needs 1 liter of water per hour. Even though it adds weight and can be inconvenient, you should always bring more water than you need on a trip than not enough.
If you want to go backpacking for more than a day, you won’t be able to carry enough water to get you through. You should start thinking about how to get your water clean.
Do You Need a Water Purifier?
Even if you’re just car camping and not in the middle of nowhere, bringing a water purifier is a good idea. It is worth the extra effort to bring a water purifier so that you can be sure you won’t get stuck somewhere where the only water you can drink is dirty.
If you are backpacking to a certain place or for more than one day, you need a way to clean your water.
On the market, you can find portable water purifiers, micro-filters, and even purifiers for water bottles. You should be able to find one that fits your needs with little trouble.
If there is any chance that you will be able to get water other than what you bring, bring a purifier with you.
If you’re unsure if you should bring a purifier, you could try water purification tablets. It’s a thing, yes. If you need to make water safe to drink, you can use tablets to clean it.
In the end, when car camping, it is imperative to make sure you have enough water to drink and use for other things. When you plan your next car camping trip, you should figure out how much water each person needs for each day of the trip. Knowing if the place you’re going has clean water is important for your health, comfort, and enjoyment.
If you don’t know if the water you’re going is safe to drink, bring a water purifier or some water purification tablets.